Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motherhood is Great


GG and I have had and are continuing having a wonderful Mother's Day. I received a bunch of cards and two books. I received "Daughters of God", by M Russell Ballard from S & N & Kids, and "Alice's Tulips" by Sandra Dallasfrom R & E & Girls. I got a brag book from the Woolf Pack. Has pictures of the family including the thumbs up girl. I got GG an indoor plant watering container since hers had started leaking all over under the sink this past week. Greattiming because what to do for her was not coming to mind.

I just finished reading "The Persian Pickle Club"by her. I enjoyed it (except for lovely Rita's words sometimes). It's one of those down home stories that lets you in on how it was when people lived near each other and were close and friendly and like a family. I also just read "Austenland" by Shannon Hale. This was a good one, too. Actually these, "Wednesday Letters" and "... the Potato Peel Pie Society" books had endings that I wasn't expecting. I love it when that happens. "Wednesday Letters was good except I felt it gave strength to some of the characters and then just dropped them. The ending was a little weak. "Austenland" kept me guessing right up to the end. I finished my books and hadn't put anything on hold so picked out a random book to read. I didn't like it at all so won't mention the name, but then I received the two books for my birthday so I'm set for a little bit, anyway.

My birthday has been wonderful, too. GG came in and wished me Happy Birthday right at the time I was actually born (7:05 AM). What a sweet thing to do. It's a good thing it was a reasonable time to be up. I can be crabby if startled awake. There was a show on TV years ago that would wake their children up at 12:01AM on their birthday to wish them a Happy Birthday with pizza, candles, etc. I always thought that would be fun to do, but nobody else shared my enthusiasm.

I was able to team teach in YW's today. It went okay. Wednesday we had a joint activity with the YM. It was the Teachers' turn to be in charge. Their idea worked very well. They brought board and card games and everyone participated and had a great time. I mostly took pictures. Yesterday the YW were in charge of a cemetery clean-up activity. It was a two ward deal, but due to a lot of other things occurring the same day, there was scanty participation. When we arrived my heart sank because I figured we would be there all day if we were going to be able to make it look nice. But, we did it in 2 1/2 hours. The Cemetery Association provided the best hot dogs ever(barbecued), a great salad, pop and ice cream sandwiches. Mmmm did they taste good. It had been rainy hard every day last week, but we were blessed with a warm, sunny day.

Book Review by GG
I enjoyed the book Wednesday Letters and it said a lot to me about letting people know how much you love them and also about forgiveness. The last chapters when Malcolm found out that he had a different father than he thought and he quest to guess who his father might be. I was suspecting even his Uncle Joe and when it turned out to be one of the ministers that was a reel surprise, but that is where the forgiveness came in,

I am reading the Guernsey society now but have not finished it. It is a good book also and I love her humor in it. It also takes me back to the time of WWII which I can remember well, but of course we went thru nothing such as they did with bombings etc, We did have some shortages but, nothing like they did, where we were starving.

3 comments:

Ben and Lisa said...

I'm so glad you and GG have had a good Mother's Day/your birthday. It was really nice talking to you on the phone, although seeing you in person would have been better. And, being the vain person that I am, I must tell all of you who read this blog that I DID send mom a birthday/Mother's Day present, they just haven't reached her yet. Just needed to clarify that I'm not completely unaware of people's birthdays!

Russ and Em said...

I am so glad that both you and GG like the Guernsey book. I really think that you will like all of Sandra Dallas's books if you like that one, because while I liked it, I liked the rest even more. She has twists at the end of every single one, and most of them have better language. So far Tallgrass is my favorite, followed by New Mercies. I have the one I gave you on reserve at the library, just no time yet to pick it up. But it looked fantastic.

Congrats on teaching the YW. I"m sure it went great, even though teaching is always nerve-racking.

We missed you, and tried to call but hopefully we will get through to you today.

The Woolf Pack said...

Happy Mother's Birth Day! Okay, that doesn't read very well, but it covers all the bases. :)
I wasn't a huge fan of Wednesday Letters, but maybe if I had looked at it in the way you did I would have like it better. I may have to read it again, I am not sure WHAT I didn't like about it. Did I tell you I am one book away from finishing the Work & The Glory books? I Didn't think I would read them, but I absolutely LOVED them.