I feel like Lightening McQueen with the shiny gold teeth. Too bad they're in the back or I could dazzle someone when the sun shines on them. (We don't have to worry too much about the sun hitting them, however. I'm actually done with the work on my teeth. Just go up to OHSU 2 more times to get the night guard made.
I was wondering how I will fill my time, but that has pretty much been taken care. I got a call from a counselor in the Bishopric. Said he had a calling for me. Said I'd love it. Since I LOVE the calling of secretary I assumed this would be a small second calling - like, assistant librarian so I could have a key to get in to use the copy machine. How wrong can one be. He called me to be 1st Counselor in the YW Presidency. Talk about shocked. My jaw dropped and I was speechless.
I am so nervous. I remember how I've struggled with being in YW before because it takes a lot of time and that is one area in my life (among others) that I struggle with - giving of my time. The Lord has been blessing me in that area. Now I see why. I thought it was so I would learn to serve to fulfill my calling in RS.
I shall miss my calling, going to RS, going to the Missionary Correlation Meeting and all the experiences I was having in those callings.
Time to grow in another area of my life. Time to fulfill a part of my Patriarchal Blessing. Time to learn better how to love. Time to give more of myself. Time to learn to let go of a wonderful calling. Time for change. As President Monson said in the Nov 2008 Conference - there's nothing so constant as change.
Along with the fear, I feel at peace about being in YW. It's going to require a lot of growing. It's surely true that when you finally feel like you are getting on top of your calling, it's time to get uncomfortable.
GG has been reading a lot. After finishing "Cry, the Beloved Country" we watched the videos made of the book - a 1952 version and a 1992? version. They were both very good, but she liked the older one best.
Next she read "Princess Academy" which she just finished. It was large print which makes her reading faster and easier. Now she is reading a book her friend Jean gave her. It's name is "The Wednesday Letters" by Jason Wright, author of "The Christmas Jar". It's a quick read and very interesting in the interactions of the people. What would she do if she couldn't read? I guess we should pray that that never happens.
She still walks everyday but Sunday, in every kind of weather, just like the mail people.
As you can see - we haven't taken any pictures for a while. :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am so excited for your new calling (well, honestly more excited that it's you and not me, but that's beside the point. . .). You will do SUCH a good job. You are so good with the youth--always have been--and they are going to love you. Thanks for always having such a good attitude about church callings--you're a great example to me.
I'm glad GG is still able to read, too. Books have become such an amazing blessing in my life. One good thing, though, is even if the day comes when reading is no longer a possibility, that's not the end of the story. Ben's sister, Jenny, who is blind, checks out tons of books from the library on DVD (so in other words, books on tape). She said she loves listening to them before she goes to sleep and doesn't feel like she's really missing out. The dvds have been a great way for her too keep "reading" even though she isn't able to.
Love you both so much!
I with Lisa, you will do an amazing job in the YW. Think about how boring it would be if our callings didn't challenge us. :) This is another reason I had no place to complain about a nursury calling.
I just read Wednesday Letters, it was pretty good, but not one of my favorites. What did GG think? Lisa had a good point about the Books on tape, in fact I just had to do that because they didn't have the book I needed but they had the CD's. Not so bad.
OOOH, I forgot to mention the gold teeth. Sounds like you got some bling! :)
You already know that I am a serious book addict so if GG ever gets where she can't read. I will come up to Portland and read to her all day and we will all be in heaven.
You will do wonderful at your new calling. You have a way of talking to people that makes them feel comfortable. That will be such a blessing for Young Women who are in a difficult time of life. You will do great!
Post a Comment