Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tidbits of Time

1st  I finished all of the Harry Potter books.  Now I miss them.  My favorite one was the last one.  I am grateful that I felt satisfied with the ending or the feeling of frustration would have been my companion.  Sometimes one feels left hanging and I love that it gave closure.

Fall is here and it has been beautiful.  Blue skies.  Colorful leaves. Some warm weather.  Bonus days to soak in while it's there so we'll be full for the rainy and colder days.  Had a few days that I could ride my bike.  (I'm what you would call a 'fair-weather' bike rider.)

This was in Grandma's devotional book the other day.  It really touched my heart - especially the last line.  I don't believe in coincidences.
     "You never dismiss people because they are
     not educated, because they are white or black,
     because they are women, because they are young
     or old.
     Every encounter is sacred and we need to value
     that encounter."
                    ~ Kenyan Ambassador Bethuel Kiplogot
The part about encounters being sacred is beautiful to me.


Friday was all day Stake Temple Day and then, of course, there was the adult session of Conference last night.  Today we had a broadcast from Salt Lake.  It must have been on the order of your 71 Stake Conference because we learned last night that this one was for the whole state of Oregon.  President Uchtdorf said we have 36 stakes in Oregon.  Guess we have a lot of work to do.  Words can't explain how it felt to listen to the broadcast today.  Felt like they were right here.  Elder Pieper of the Seventy, Elaine Dalton, Elder Hales and President Uchtdorf were the speakers.  I'd say that we'd better arouse and awaken our faculties.  Wish they printed the Stake Conference talks.   I took notes, but I miss important parts.

You may have to use your imagination, but when I saw this stump with the one strand of ivy climbing the wall, I thought of a cathedral.  I have a different picture without the flash, but thought this might? show it better  Decided to upload one without the flash




Grandma was going to write about her friend Jean, but didn't.  Jean was in a bad car accident 2 1/2 weeks ago - on her way to put together the bulletins for church.  A lady went through a red light - a long time red light.  Hit Jean's car on the passenger side.  The impact caused the driver's side door to open and left Jean half hanging out the door - held only by the seat belt.  The life flighted her to the hospital.  She has had several surgeries - broken leg, broken facial bones, a gash in her right arm that you don't really want to have described- took several surgeries and plastic surgery which they hope takes.  Oh, and she has a broken shoulder.  What a woman, though.  She's totally upbeat.  All she wants is to be able to have one of those bath tubs that you can walk into.  After all, she won't be able to walk well for quite a while.

We have to write about other people because they have more exciting happenings.  Don't get me wrong.  I am grateful for status quo.

2 comments:

Russ and Em said...

Sounds like you have a lot going on. I love the pictures of the walks through your woods.

Also, I'm glad that you liked the Harry Potter books. They are a fun read. Wish I had something new to recommend but nothing has really caught my fancy of late.

The Woolf Pack said...

Wow. It's sounds like she was pretty blessed to come out of that in one piece.

Now that I know you finished the Harry Potter series I will have to call and find out what you thought. Have you heard of the Fablehaven books? I haven't read them either, but have heard they are good (and clean).