Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tale of One City








The month of January was full of fun expectations and happenings. Claire came up the idea of having a birthday party for Grandma/Mom/GG. We were going to have surprise party, but decided against it. It worked out great because she had a couple of weeks of anticipation. It was a wonderful day. She had all but two of her grandchildren, and four of her 8 great grandchildren. Those who were able to come were Claire came over from Forest Grove, Kyle, Elizabeth, Thisbe from Portland, Guy from Beaverton, Kevin from Seattle, Stewart; Russ, Lisa & Cambelle came up from Salt Lake (which was a surprise to all of us, Jen, Mark, Dakota, and Mackenzie came down from Olympia. The only ones that couldn’t come were Peter and Paul from Reno. What a great joy she felt in having everyone here. She felt very special because everyone made a special effort to be here. She sat back and listened to everyone reminiscing about the farm and all of the fun they had. That meant more than anyone could ever know. She loved the letters that you all sent. As soon as everyone had gone home ( sadness occurred here) she poured over the book and felt like she sounded like a perfect person. She shows it to everyone and shares her birthday celebration with all who will listen.
Now we settle back into real life. We had our first clear weather for a long time for the next week which was a joy to all in the area.
As for me, I loved having everyone here. It was so hard to have everyone leave but at the same time, it was the perfect amount of time. My only wish was that Nicki, Emily, Ben, Andrew, Grace, Abbie and Cooper, Peter and Paul could have come. It would have been verrrry interesting trying to fit us all in our “itty-bitty living space”, but we used to do it at the farm.
Thank you all for what you did for Grandma and I subsequently was blessed, too. I learn a lot about all of you when I hear you tell of tales of old. I love it. This is family in the greatest sense.
I mourn the passing of President Hinckley, but I love the feeling of solidarity we have in knowing the leadership is still there - intact.
Russ is right, I need to keep this site up better. I’ll try
I got butched last week. I told the girl what I wanted but wasn’t very clear because she cut my bangs very shor and cut more for bangs than I wanted. I had just grown that part out. Oh well, it will grow back.

4 comments:

The Woolf Pack said...

The site looks great, even if you don't update it a ton, but we do like to see new entries. I am glad GG had a great time. It was so nice having us all together again, next time maybe everyone can make it. You will have to put up a picture of your hair, I'll bet it is really cute. That is one nice thing about hair, if you don't like the cut it will grow back soon enough! (I should know, I have had my share of bad hair!)
Love You!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about the party on everyone's blog, but it was the best to know that GG had such a great time. I know everyone loves her so much!

I'm sorry about the hair cut. Russ keeps telling me that I should cut bangs but I've grown bangs out once in my life and really really don't want to do it again. So I'm sorry that you have to do that...sigh. But put a picture up - even if you don't like it - it makes for great memories

Russ and Em said...

Nice to see all those pictures. That whole weekend was really fun, so it's nice to see some pictures from it, since I forgot my camera.

Ben and Lisa said...

GG's party was such a blast and I am SO glad so many of us were able to be there. I only wish it could have lasted longer. That was such a great idea you had to compile those letters for Grandma. I am so glad she is loving them so much. We love you both and miss you both tremendously!